No products in the cart.
NEW COMMISSION NEWS
Solo Concerto and orchestra
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Riccardo Muti, Zell Music Director
World Premiere planned for the 2018/19 Season.
Details to be announced!!
Commissions - Happenings
- "Martha Uncaged" - concerto for trumpet and chamber ensemble. World Premiere at Music Academy of the West - the composer in residence and conducting. Paul Merkelo, soloist. July 11, 2017.
- "Tributes" Violin concerto to receive West Coast premiere at the Cabrillo Festival. August 5, 2017. Jennifer Frautschi, soloist. Cristi Macelaru, conducting. The composer will be in residence that week.
- Concerto for low brass section and orchestra with The Minnesota Orchestra. Osmo Vänskä, conductor; Doug Wright, Kari Sundström, Andrew Chappell, Steven Campbell, soloists
- Alto Saxophone concerto A consortium led by Russell Kerns, to be premiered wit the Saratoga High School Band. Jason Shiuan, director. November 21, 2017.
- there are no words - featured at WASBE International festival in Utrecht, the Netherlands. July 20, 2017.
- Trumpet concerto #2 "Rextreme" to be recorded by Symphonic Winds Tokyo, directed by Yoshi Ito. Composer will be present.
- Liquid Melancholy (clarinet concerto) - re-scored for classical orchestra. Performances/recording (Cedille Records) scheduled with the Lake Forest Symphony (May 20/21, 2017) and the Chicago College of Performing Arts (CCPA) at Roosevelt University; John Yeh, soloist Commissioned by the Lake Forest Symphony
- The Storyteller - re-scored for solo trumpet and wind ensemble Commissioned for recording by the University of Michigan Wind Ensemble, Michael Haithcock, director
- Solo trumpet/piano work for Marc Reese, for the inaugural Roger Voisin Memorial trumpet competition.
- Solo for trombone and loop station - Jeremy Wilson
- Concert band works for Peter Haberman (Concordia College, Morehead), Craig Roselieb (Downers Grove South HS), Thomas Rohrer (W/NW CBDNA conference 2018 - Sonoma State), David Alpar (USAF Band of the West), Rod Chesnutt (FGCU Wind Orchestra), Northbrook Middle School band, orchestra, chorus.
- this is most certainly true - for wind ensemble - premiere: October, 2017 Commissioned by a consortium of 30 wind ensembles, led by James Ripley (Carthage College) - to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran faith
- Luther: in Canon - for wind ensemble - premiere: November, 2017 Commissioned by a consortium of 30 wind ensembles, led by William Perrine (Concordia University Ann Arbor) - to commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Lutheran faith
- Concerto for low brass (section) and orchestra. The Minnesota Orchestra, conducted by Oslo Vanska. Soloists, trombone and tuba section. premiere date: June, 2018 Commissioned as a crowd-funded project, led by D. Wilson Ochoa - in memory of good friend Bill Zehfuss.
- Concerto for bass trombone and orchestra "The Arch" with St. Louis Symphony. David Robertson, conductor; Gerry Pagano, soloist.
- Cantata based on "In Flanders Fields" (John McCrae) - for premiere performance in November to be conducted by Roï Azoulay at Congregation Shaar Hashomayim - also including wonderful friend/tenor Gideon Zelermyer.
- Fanfare commissioned by the Montreal Symphony Orchestra (Spring 2017)
Schedule of Events
|8-14:||Performing at the St. Barts Music Festival|
|14-16:||Composer residency at Gardner-Webb University, in North Carolina.|
|16-23||Eight performances of Compose Yourself! with Naples Philharmonic. (Stephenson conducting)|
|3:||Symphony #2 - FGCU Wind Ensemble - Rod Chesnutt conducting|
|7-8:||Piccolo Trumpet recording/performance at Peabody. Josh Ganger, trumpet|
|25:||Blue Night *world premiere* with the Anderson Symphony. Richard Sowers conducts. In memoriam for Kent Leslie, former principal horn.|
|27 - March 2:||Composer-in-Residence with Chattanooga Symphony; Violin Concerto "Tributes". Holly Mulcahy.|
|3:||Liquid Melancholy clarinet concerto at Roosevelt University, CCPA. John Yeh, clarinet. Alastair Willis conducting.|
|7-10:||Composer-in-Residence at Kennesaw State University. Performances of "there are no words", "Liquid Melancholy" clarinet concerto (John Warren), "The Devil's Tale", "Concertino and Fanfare"|
|9-11:||American Bandmasters Association conference (Lexington, KY): "Glissin' Up" + "Symphony #2" (2nd mvmt) US "President's Own" Marine Band|
|10:||WORLD PREMIERE - orchestra version of "there are no words" Frost Symphony Orchestra, U of Miami; Thomas Sleeper|
|11:||Lake Forest Symphony - Jim Stephenson conducting family concert(s)|
|14:||Piccolo trumpet concerto at Arkansas State University; Chris Wilson, trumpet|
|3-7||Elgin Symphony performs Compose Yourself! (Jim Stephenson narrating)|
|4:||Three Bones Concerto at Indiana University; Jon Whitaker, Pete Ellefson, Tim Dugan.|
|6:||Piccolo trumpet concerto performed/recorded at MTSU. Michael Arndt.|
|15:||WORLD PREMIERE: work for trombone quartet and percussion quartet, Vanderbilt University|
|22-23:||Recording of "Vast and Curious" at Fredonia University. Gail Williams, horn; Dan Perantoni, tuba. Wind ensemble conducted by Paula Holcomb. More info.|
|23:||Piccolo trumpet concerto: FGCU winds. Matthew Sonneborn|
|28:||“The Arch” Concerto Rhapsody, with the St. Louis Symphony. Gerry Pagano, bass trombone soloist. Conducted by David Robertson Composer in attendance. More info here.|
Listen To Our Featured Works
March 2017 Podcast by The Portfolio Composer
Listen To The Music On The Individual Offering Pages and Sound Cloud
Concerto Performer List
Over the years, Jim Stephenson has written concertos for an amazing group of musicians.
Here is a partial listing of the artists who have premiered Stephenson Concertos:
|Violin concerto #1: Jennifer Frautschi||Trumpet/piano concerto: Marc Reese/Lisa Leonard|
|Violin concerto #2: Alex Kerr||Trombone concerto: Nitzan Haroz|
|Flute concerto: Bill Larsen||“Tempest” trombone concerto: Joseph Alessi|
|Oboe concerto: Alex Klein||Triple trombone concerto: Joe Alessi/Pete Ellefson/ Jon Whitaker|
|Clarinet concerto: Dan Gilbert, David Shifrin or John Yeh||Bass trombone concerto: Matthew Guilford|
|Bassoon concerto: Norbert Nielubowski||Tuba concerto: James Jenkins|
|Horn concerto: Gail Williams||Brass quintet concerto: Jacob Cameron et al.|
|Trumpet concerto #1: Jeffrey Work||Triple brass concerto: Charley Lea/Erich Peterson/Daniel Mattson|
|Trumpet concerto #2 (Rextreme): Rex Richardson|
|Trumpet Concerto #3: Ryan Anthony|